Below: The Leavenworth Echo news clippings from 1905 - 1923
Photo date: 1916 The large building below and to the left of your hall is Firemen's Hall (built 1910, part under white roof added 1912). The two large buildings to the right are the grade school (1907) and high school (1911-12), situated on Evans (with generous setbacks) between Central and Orchard. The church between the hall and the schools is the old Methodist church (1908, first services December). Farther to the right of the schools is the old Catholic church (now part of Pension Anna on Commercial street). Beyond the Methodist church, the structure with an apparently flat roof is the roundhouse. Directly beyond that, somewhat obscured in the haze, is the oil storage facility for fueling oil-fired locomotives. The 426,000 gallon tank was positioned about where the east wing of der Ritterhof is now. To the left of the oil tanks, next to the tracks, is the coal bunker. The road at bottom running into the N of No3 is today's Titus road (then known as Railroad Avenue). (Ski Hill Drive was also known as Railroad Avenue.) Zoom in for a fairly good view of the viaduct, coming down to Evans, just east of the hall, and the bandstand in the park about even with 8th street. The large dark building left of the hall across the tracks is the Great Northern's depot-area ice house (capacity 2000 tons). To its right across the empty space is the depot (slightly relocated - now the Chumstick Grange hall). The various facilities of the Lamb-Davis lumber mill are arrayed beyond the town and west, all south of the tracks. The Great Northern had a wye at the west end of town, one arm of which extended a half-mile or so out what is now Icicle Road. The other arm curved around the base of the hill which now supports one of the town's reservoirs, rejoining the main line near the mouth of the canyon. In the photo, it appears that there are some railcars on the Icicle road arm of the wye.
Above: Leavenworth 1916, view from Rattlesnake Hill